Hu, Y. (2016). Chinese-British Intermarriage—Disentangling Gender and Ethnicity. London and New York: Palgrave Macmillan. pp. XIII + 267.
- Nominee for 2017 British Sociological Association Philip Abrams Memorial Prize
- Book review published in The Sociological Review
Refereed Journal Articles
 Hu, Y. (in press). What about Money? Earnings, Household Financial Organization, and Housework. Journal of Marriage and Family.
 Hu, Y. & Qian, Y. (in press, equal authorship). Educational and Age Assortative Mating in China—The Importance of Marriage Order. Demographic Research.
- An earlier version of this article was published in the Princeton Research Network on Contemporary China Working Paper Series. [PDF]
 Wang, S. & Hu, Y. (2019). Migration and Health in China: Linking Sending and Host Societies. Population, Space and Place. [PDF]
 Zhao, M. & Hu, Y. (2019). Migration Premium? The Economic Returns to Youth Inter-province Migration in Post-reform China. Journal of Youth Studies. [PDF]
 Hu, Y. (2018). Patriarchal Hierarchy? Gender, Children’s Housework Time and Family Structure in Post-Reform China. Chinese Sociological Review. 50(3): 310–338. [PDF]
- Featured in CPI (China Policy Institute) Analysis, The Intellectual (in Chinese, 知识分子), Ms. Muses (in Chinese, 缪斯夫人), Quantitative Social Science (in Chinese, 定量群学).
 Hu, Y. & Shi, X. (2018). The Impact of China’s One-Child Policy on Intergenerational and Gender Relations. Contemporary Social Science (Journal of the Academy of Social Sciences). [PDF]
- Featured in The Intellectual (in Chinese, 知识分子).
 Hu, Y. & Yucel, D. (2018). What Fairness? Gendered Division of Housework and Family Life Satisfaction across 30 Countries. European Sociological Review. 34(1): 92–105. [PDF]
- Featured in The Intellectual (in Chinese, 知识分子).
 Hu, Y. & To, S. (2018). Family Relations and Remarriage Post-Divorce and Post-Widowhood in China. Journal of Family Issues. 39(8): 2286–2310. [PDF]
 Cebolla-Boado, H., Hu, Y. & Soysal, Y. (2018). Why Study Abroad? Sorting of Chinese Students across British Universities. British Journal of Sociology of Education. 39(3): 365–380. [PDF]
 Hu, Y. (2017). Attitudes toward Transnational Intermarriage in China: Testing Three Theories of Transnationalization. Demographic Research. 37: 1413–1444. [PDF]
 Hu, Y. & Coulter, R. (2017). Living Space and Psychological Well-being in Urban China: Differentiated Relationships across Socio-economic Gradients. Environment and Planning A. 49 (4): 911–929. [PDF]
- Featured in Quantitative Social Science(in Chinese, 定量群学) and China Family Panel Studies Research Highlight (in Chinese, 中国家庭动态追踪调查研究快递).
- Selected media coverage: Governance and Reflections (in Chinese, 治理与反思).
 Hu, Y. (2016). Marriage of Matching Doors: Marital Sorting on Parental Background in China. Demographic Research. 35: 557–580. [PDF]
 Hu, Y. (2016). Impact of Rural-to-Urban Migration on Family and Gender Values in China. Asian Population Studies. 12 (3): 251–272. [PDF]
- Most read article in Asian Population Studies.
 Hu, Y. (2016). Sex Ideologies in China: Examining Interprovince Differences. Journal of Sex Research. 53 (9): 1118–1130. [PDF]
- Media coverage (selected): The Conversation, Global Times, Newsweek, The Wire, SBS Australia, Science 2.0, Scroll.in (India), China Policy Institute: Analysis
- Media interview: Deutschlandradio–DRadio Wissen (Germany).
 Coulter, R. & Hu, Y. (2015). Living Apart Together and Cohabitation Intentions in Great Britain. Journal of Family Issues. 38 (12): 1701–1729. [PDF]
- Abstract published in the supplement of Longitudinal and Life Course Studies, 6 (3).
- Featured in OpenPop.
 Hu, Y. (2015). Gender and Children’s Housework Time in China: Examining Behavior Modeling in Context. Journal of Marriage and Family. 77 (5): 1126–1143. [PDF]
- Featured in WorkCareShare, The Gates Trust, China Family Panel Studies Research Highlights (in Chinese, 中国家庭动态追踪调查研究快递).
 Hu, Y. & Scott, J. (2014). Family and Gender Values in China: Generational, Geographic and Gender Differences. Journal of Family Issues. 37 (9): 1267–1293. [PDF]
- The most read and cited article in Journal of Family Issues
Working Papers and Reports
 Chen, L., Büscher, M. & Hu, Y. (2019). On liquid ground: Contesting facts and responsibilities on Weibo during the Shouguang Flood. Proceedings of the 16th Annual Conference on Information Systems for Crisis Response and Management (ISCRAM2019, peer-reviewed)
 Philip, G., Bedston, S., Hu, Y., Youansamouth, L., Clifton, J., Brandon, M., & Broadhurst, K. (2018). Building a Picture of Fathers in Family Justice in England. doi: 10.13140/RG.2.2.13814.65602
 Hu, Y. 2018 (Review article). Migratory Struggles and the Intersection between Gender, Class and Place in China. Nan Nü (Brill). 20(2): 353–359.
 Hu, Y. 2018 (February 2). Domestic Gender Inequalities in China: Count Children In. CPI (China Policy Institute) Analysis.
 Hu, Y. 2017 (April 4). ‘Hukou’, and What Birthplace Can Still Mean for Marriage in China. The Conversation.
 Hu, Y. 2016 (October 24). The Danger of Being a Bridesmaid in China Means Some Brides Now Hire Professionals. The Conversation.
- Top 3 most read article in The Conversation UK.
 Hu, Y. 2016 (May 12). Why Rice Growers in China Are More Sexually Liberal than Wheat Growers. The Conversation.
 Hu, Y. & Coulter, R. 2016 (January 8). Living Apart Together and Cohabitation Intentions in Britain. OpenPop.